Many people nowadays choose to pay a visit to Thailand during Songkran festival as this is one of the best festivals of the year in “the land of smiles”. The event is celebrated throughout the country and especially exciting in some areas such as Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket. Of all the places where Songkran takes place, the Songkran Pattaya 2022 is probably the most unique and exciting one.
1. What is Songkran festival?
Songkran is a festival that celebrates the Thai Traditional New Year, which makes it probably the grandest and most important event in Thailand. However, this fest is actually more well-known for the water fight, which originates from the traditions of Thai people cleansing and pouring fragrance water on Buddha statues and the elderly. Thai people believe this act will wash away the old bad things and bring good luck to them. Therefore, there are many water fights that occur everywhere throughout the country nowadays.
In 2022, Songkran will be celebrated from 13th to 15th April (Wednesday to Friday), in which 13th is Songkran day as well as Thai New Year’s Day. If you are wondering where to join this exciting celebration, Pattaya is perhaps a good choice for you. Let’s go find out whyyy!!
2. Songkran Pattaya 2022
Pattaya is a southeast city in Thailand and the distance from Bangkok to Pattaya is about 148km. This is perhaps one of the easiest cities to get to from Bangkok because it is well connected through Highway 3 (Bangna-Chonburi route) and Highway 7 (motorway).
As mentioned earlier, Songkran Pattaya 2022 takes place in the middle of April to celebrate New Year’s Eve. In this southeast city, this fest is locally known as “Wan Lai”, which literally means “the flowing day”.
Well…Before moving on to the things to do during this celebration, it is important to know about Pattaya weather in April. Frankly, April in this city is quite hot and sticky. The average temperature ranges from 26 to 35 degrees and the humidity are also very high which may bring about some unpleasant feelings. Besides, the end of April and into May is going to witness some rain. However, this hot season makes it ideal for tourists to jump into the streets and join in the freshly enjoyable water fights.
Now let’s find out what you should do during this Songkran Pattaya 2022.
3. Things to do
#1: Joining the water fights and music/pool parties
Participating in the Songkran festival in Pattaya without experiencing cool water fights and wonderful parties means you actually miss half of the event. In other words, the wild water fights along the streets together with a variety of eventful parties at bars are the remark of Songkran. Everybody is armed with semi-traditional buckets, water guns, or anything that you can put water in. There is also a mysterious white paste made from talcum powder and water used for applying to the face.
In order to enjoy the best all-day wet and wild parties at Songkran 2022 Pattaya, you’d better keep in mind these most popular and exciting places in the city.
Places for water fights and parties:
- Beach Road: during Songkran, Beach Road and all adjacent ones are cut off to traffic, creating a 3-mile long road for water fights. Stages, as well as vendors, are set up for live music performances and various kinds of traditional food or crafts. Foam machines, water buckets are also ready for full-blown water wars. Hence, this is actually the number one choice of tourists when looking for lively and joyful water fights.
- Soi 6, 7, 8 and Soi Bukkhao: these places are also hot spots where every building has a bar. Let note that most bars here will have a selection of water butts in front and usually, you have to buy at least one drink before reloading your guns. As you walk past them, there is a chance you will be drenched, so if you are not comfortable paying for water, an alternative is to looking around to find some free water butts nearby (though it may take your time).
- Some hotels and clubs also have pool parties with numerous fun activities for their guests. Here are some examples:
- FFlic Cliff & Pool Club: 286/5 Rajchawaroon Road, Soi Kasetsin 11, Phratamnak.
- Design Hotel: 390 Moo 9, Pattaya 2nd Road, North Pattaya.
- Pattya international music festival: an annual fest for music lovers!
#2: Getting rooftop places for the whole Songkran Pattaya view
If you prefer to sit at the top of Pattaya rather than join in noisy parties on the roads, these are some top rooftop bars famous for excellent services and good views across Songkran:
- Horizon Bar & Restaurant: 34th Floor, Hilton Pattaya Hotel, 333/99 Moo 9, Pattaya Beach Road Soi 9, South Pattaya
- Ruffino Restaurant & Lounge: 9th Floor, Centara Grand Phratamnak, 352/430 Moo 12, Phratamnak Soi 5, Phratamnak
- D.I.B Sky Bar: 38th Floor, D Varee Jomtien Beach, 457 Moo 12, Soi 13-14, Jomtien Beach Road
- The Meridian Revolving Restaurant: 54th Floor, Pattaya Park Tower, Pattaya Park Hotel and Resort, 345 Jomtien Road, Phratamnak
#3: Going to bars to enjoy Songkran Pattaya
Actually, many bars are open during Songkran, and Soi 6, 7, 8 are some of the most popular spots these days. You can definitely join interesting water fights there because they have water butts for guests to refill their buckets or guns. This means every bar becomes a stage for those amazing fights. Below are some suggestions:
- Hard Rock Cafe Pattaya: Hard Rock Hotel, 429 Beach Road, North Pattaya
- Planet Earth Beach Club: Soi 16, Jomtien Beach Road
- Legend Pool and Sports Bar: 324/10 Bang Lamung District, Chon Buri
- Sugar Shack Bar: 13/3 Beach Road, Pattayaland Soi 1, Pattaya
- More bars in Pattaya.
#4: Visiting night markets or malls
During Songkran, public companies and schools are closed yet markets and some big malls are still open. Besides taking part in many other activities, wandering around some night bazaars or going shopping at malls is a great choice, too.
- Naklua Market: this market open during Songkran festival so tourists can have a chance to enjoy a variety of street food and fresh seafood. This market also offers different choices of traditional Thai dishes at a reasonable price.
#5: Watching shows
Another alternative for people who aren’t fond of joining water fights and wild parties outside is to watch the live show. There are several kinds of shows available in Songkran:
- Tiffany’s Cabaret Show: it’s a world-class transvestite theater show and musical that are entertaining so much. This is a must-see show in Pattaya in Songkran
- Muay Thai show: there are frequent Muay Thai shows throughout the year even during Songkran in Pattaya. You’d better by tickets in advance to make sure you have a seat to enjoy this traditional sports show of Thailand.
- These are not shows but just traditional parts of Songkran in Pattaya: processions of monks on Beach Road, Buddhist relic parade, traditional Issan dancing, etc. Wake up early to see them.
#6: Other exciting activities
Still want more to enjoy your holiday in Pattaya to the fullest? Check out other exciting activities and wonderful landscapes below:
- Swimming at the beach: When coming to Pattaya in April, don’t forget to visit these famous beaches: Pattaya Beach, Jomtien, Naklua, Wong Phrachan, Wong Amat, etc.
- Exploring Koh Larn coral island: You will surely fall in love with the white and beautiful sand here. There are also tons and tons of fun activities such as diving and delicious local food to try!!!
If you are an active type of person and want to try different activities, this Koh Larn island day tour will be a good choice as it allows you to combine different sports in your tour such as kayak, parasailing, banana boat, jetski or snorkeling (lunch included). I found it pretty useful if you are having a hard time deciding what sports to play in Koh Larn.
- Khao Chi Chan (Buddha Mountain): The image of Buddha was designed and made from gold, engraved into the northern face of Khao Chi Chan. Its natural beauty of the surrounding is going to help you refresh your mind better.
To make sure you get a great experience with Songkran Pattaya 2022, keep in mind the following tips:
- If you can, try to arrive in Pattaya as soon as possible to avoid the crowd. It’s better to go on 11th or sooner and never go on 18th or 19th
- If you think you’re going to have a medical emergency these days, stay somewhere near a hospital
- Avoid going out from 2 pm to 7 pm, it’s the rush hours
- If you don’t want to get soaked, stay at your hotel or flat.
- You’d better do your shopping in advance a few days before Songkran. The shopping malls and most of the public agencies are closed during this time
- It’s not wise to get drunk. Many accidents during Songkran are caused by drunk people, so be careful when you drive after drinking at bars
- Stay away from Pattaya in April if you don’t like loud music, crowds, and parties.
- Do not put your cash into little pouches and wear them around your neck. The pickpockets may pay attention to you.
- Make sure you are protected well with necessary facilities. Many people get sick or have problems with their ears and throat after joining in the water fights.
- Always be prepared because you can be the target of water tossing anytime in the streets.
In conclusion, Songkran 2022 Pattaya is not only about water fights, there are lots of different activities and shows worth enjoying as well. In order to prepare for the best trip to this festival, don’t forget to check out some dos and don’ts during Songkran and note down the above tips from the former tourists and locals. They will definitely help you then. Eventually, life is a journey so just pack your suitcase and plan a trip to Pattaya this April!