Being one of the biggest tourist centers in Thailand with Thai Walking Streets, beautiful beaches, bustling shopping, and nightlife, Pattaya is a cannot-miss part of your trip to Thailand. When coming to Bangkok, you will definitely consider how to get to Pattaya from here. This article will provide you with information as well as directions on how to get to Pattaya from Bangkok.
1. How far is Pattaya from Bangkok?
Pattaya is in Chon Buri province, about 147 kilometers southeast of Bangkok. In addition to getting to Pattaya from the center of Bangkok, getting to Pattaya from Bangkok airport is also a good choice. Tourists can also move from Suvarnabhumi Airport or from Don Muang Airport.
Bangkok Airports to Pattaya:
- From Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK Airport) to Pattaya: about 120 km
- From Don Muang Airport (DMK Airport): about 160 km
In general, it takes approximately 2 hours to get to Pattaya from Bangkok in off-peak times but this can be more during rush hour and on Fridays because everyone usually takes a trip to Pattaya for the weekend.
2. How to get to Pattaya from Bangkok by taxi?
#1 By taxi with estimated price:
To move from Bangkok to Pattaya fast and conveniently, you can go by taxi for 2 hours. However, this transport is more suitable for people with well-off financial conditions because the cost of a taxi here is quite high.
- From your hotel in Bangkok to Pattaya:
If you are in one of the luxury hotels, hotels can always arrange a taxi for you; moreover, the taxis that they use are very reputable and reliable. When arranging a taxi from Bangkok to Pattaya through your hotel or a travel agency, you have to pay a premium for the service so it will cost about 1500 baht.
- From central Bangkok to Pattaya:
The cost of the trip is around 2000 – 2500 baht, more than the cost of the hotel service. It is economical for tourists to fix the price before starting.
- From the airport to Pattaya:
There is a shuttle service so transportation is quite crowded. You can pick a taxi to Pattaya from Don Muang Airport with a price not exceeding 1200 baht.
From Suvarnabhumi Airport to Pattaya, the price of a taxi is approximately 1400 baht to reach Pattaya, including 1300 baht for road and 60 baht for tolls.
Besides the traditional taxi, Grab is becoming more and more popular in many countries, including Thailand. Getting to Pattaya from Bangkok, you can book a Grab taxi or Grab 7 seats for a group. Traveling by Grab taxi, the price difference is between 100 -200 baht, depending on the rush hour or off-peak hour.
- From the center of Bangkok to Pattaya: ~1,300 – 1,700 THB
- From Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) to Pattaya: ~1,100 – 1,400 THB
- From Don Muang Airport to Pattya: ~1,300 – 1,700 THB
It costs around 1300 – 1700 baht from the center of Bangkok to Pattaya, 1100 -1400 baht from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Pattaya, and around 1300 -1700 baht from Don Muang Airport to Pattaya.
You should make sure that it is a properly licensed taxi and the driver should have an Airports of Thailand certificate wherever you get a taxi from Bangkok airport to Pattaya, It is apparent that nothing can negate the convenience of a taxi. Of course, taking a taxi costs more than other options but it is worth paying the higher price because of its convenience.
3. How to get to Pattaya from Bangkok by bus?
The bus is considered to be a convenient way to move from Bangkok to Pattaya. The majority of tourists often use this transportation as it is quite cheap.
You can choose from three destinations: central Bangkok, Don Muang Airport, and Suvarnabhumi Airport.
#1 From central Bangkok to Pattaya:
Eastern Bus Terminal:
- Where to catch: near BTS Ekamai on Sukhumvit Road – Soi 63 (Soi Ekkamai)
- Where to buy ticket: the Roong Reuang Coach of Ekkamai bus station (Eastern Bus Terminal – counters 32 – 33)
- Frequency: every 30 minutes from 5:20 am to 11:20 pm every day
Northern Bus Terminal:
- Where to catch and buy ticket: counter 48 at ground floor (in Mochit)
- Frequency: from 5:30 to 20:00 every day
The New Southern Bus Terminal (Sai Tai Mai)
- Where to catch: Sai Tai Mai Bus Station located in Borommaratchachonnani Rd
- Where to buy ticket: Ticket counter No.81 provided by Roong Reuang Coach
- Frequency: departs at 8:00, 10:00, 12:00, 14:00, 16:00
- Ticket price: 108 THB per person
Minivans are also available every hour in Sai Tai Mai station with costs at 145 THB per person from 5:00 am to 6:00 pm.
#2 From DMK airport:
If you want to move from DMK airport to Pattaya, I suggest you use the free shuttle bus to go to BKK airport first, after that, please read the next paragraph: how to move from BKK airport to Pattaya below.
So in this part, I will show you how to move from DMK airport to BKK airport in 2 ways:
Get the free shuttle bus at Gate no.7 of DMK airport. Read here to a detailed guideline:
HOW TO MOVE FROM DMK AIRPORT TO BKK AIRPORT FOR FREE?
You can catch bus number 544 to go from Don Muang Airport to Suvarnabhumi Airport bus stop. At the Suvarnabhumi Airport, there is a ticket counter to Pattaya with a price of around 120 baht. After buying the tickets, you can wait for the departure time and give the tickets to the driver or bus staff to be placed.
#2 From BKK airport (Survanabumi Airport)
Public bus from Bangkok to Pattaya is available:
– Time: From 7:00 to 22:00
– Frequency: every 1 hour
– Ticket price: ~ 120 THB
Where to catch the bus:
1. After getting off the plane at Suvarnabhumi Airport, go to the 1st Floor (Public Transport)
2. Go to Gate number 8, you will see a counter selling tickets to Pattaya and HuaHin:
3. Hold the ticket and wait until the staff asks you to go to the bus outside. Normally they will shout out the upcoming bus so always be noticed to hear from the staff
In conclusion, you can get to Pattaya from Bangkok in many ways. Buses are wonderfully affordable so these might be the ideal choice for backpackers looking to travel around on a budget. Nevertheless, a taxi is far more convenient for those who prefer privacy.