Angkor Wat is a have-to-visit destination when you travel in Cambodia because this heritage has become the pride of Cambodian people for a long time. To have a meaningful time to admire beautiful temples with reasonable expenses, we will share you the article “Angkor Wat sunrise 2019” the top tips of traveling in Angkor Wat – a place which will offer you many interesting things.
Before we do, we want you as well as many tourists to be aware that Angkor Wat is just a name of the most famous temple among numerous other temples of Angkor complex but not all of large heritage.
1. Detail of ticket prices and the address to buy ticket for visiting Angkor Wat
1 day: 37$
- The ticket is valid from purchasing
3 days: 62$
- The ticket is valid within 10 days after the day you buy it. You can use your ticket to visit Angkor Archaeological Park for any 3 days in those 10 days.
A week: 72$
- The ticket is valid within 1 month after purchase, allow you to visit Angkor Wat for 7 days.
- Opening hours: 5:00 AM – 5:30 PM. You had better keep your ticket during traveling and freely enter or exit at the opening hours allowed.
The way to the place selling ticket to Angkor Wat:
- Address: Angkor Enterprise, Street 60, Siem Reap, Campuchia (The office is next to Angkor Panorama Museum and opposite to Asia Traditional Museum – about 2 kilometers far from Angkor Complex)
- Opening hours: 4:30 AM – 5:30 PM
– You don’t need to bring your passport when buying a ticket. Simply, you get to the ticket office and ask the staff there to sell the type of ticket you want. Then, he/she will take your portrait photo and issue the ticket
– If you want to see the sunrise in Angkor Wat, you should queue early to buy the ticket to catch the sunrise at 5:00 AM in Angkor Wat (remember to consider the time because there will be a lot of people buying tickets during this time)
– The ticket which is bought at 5:00 PM will be valid tomorrow
– You can pay by card when purchasing.
2. Transportation moving around Angkor
Angkor Complex has a very wide area so walking is not an ideal choice when exploring Angkor.
Note: If you rent some vehicles below to visiting Angkor Complex, the drivers will only take you between 2 different places. You can consult the price without the cost of a tour guide as following:
#1 Take a Tuk tuk or Remorque
- Tuk-tuk in Siem Reap 2019 – Book by grab – Asiagofun – Cambodia
- Remorque in Siem Reap – Book by Grab – Asiagofun – Cambodia
Tuk tuk and Remorque appear everywhere in Cambodia so the wait of them never happen. You will be picked up whenever you want.
Moreover, most hotels and homestays have this service. Therefore, you should contact them for booking tuk tuk or Remorque. The price ranges about 20 -25 per day.
Each tuk tuk can carry maximum of 3 passengers and 6 passengers to Remorque. It is really economical to go with your group.
#2 Rent a Car or taxi
Lots of hotel and homestays in Siem Reap offer this service with the price of 20-25$/person/day.
However, from March to May is the time when the weather is not too hot. Therefore, tuk tuk or Remorque will help you to save money effectively. Additionally, you can enjoy the fresh atmosphere as there are many green trees inside the Angkor Complex.
#3 Rent a Bicycle
Bicycle is one of the best options for those who love sports activities. Bike rental service in Siem Reap costs about 1$ a day. It is easy to find the place for bike rental around Siem Reap.
3. Opening hours in Angkor Wat and other temples in Angkor Complex
- Angkor Wat: 5:00 AM – 5:30 PM
- Sras Srang: 5:00 AM – 5:30 PM
- Pre Rup: 5:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- Phnom Bakheng: 5:00 AM- 7:00 PM
- Other temples: 7:00 AM to 5:30 PM
4. Angkor Wat
There are 2 roads to Angkor Archaeological Park. These two roads are also called “Small Circuits” and “Large Circuits” because both of them are circle-shaped roads. “Small Circuits” is 17 kilometers long while “Large Circuits” is 26 kilometers long.
Main temples inside Small Circuits
Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Ta Keo, Ta Prohm, Banteay Kdei, Prasat Kravan
Main temples inside Large Circuits
Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Preah Khan, Neak Poan, Ta Som, East Mebon, Pre Rup
Angkor Complex – Angkor Wat Map
5. Top 5 most attractive temples in Angkor Wat
All of Angkor Complex areas are 400 kilometers square with many large and small temples. In order to decide to plan an appropriate schedule, you can consult some highlights of popularly favorite temples. Exploring all of 5 temples a day is not impossible.
#1 Angkor Wat – see Angkor Wat sunrise 2019
Unlike the temples which are at the same area and towards the East, Angkor Wat has a main entrance towards the West. Cambodia is a country of Buddhism but Angkor Wat was first built as a Hindu temple to be honor Vishnu. Although the reason for the westwards entrance in Angkor Wat is unknown, it is said that Vishnu is a supreme-powering god who sits facing to the West. Hence, people who want to see him must go inside from the West and the westwards gate.
Another reason many people believe is that Angkor Wat is actually a tomb of King Suryavarman II (who ordered to build this tomb) so it is towards the West. For many cultures, the West is a symbol of death. However, no one knows when Suryavarman II died and where he was buried, but it is no doubt that he disappeared from history after Angkor Wat hadn’t been finished.
No matter what reason is given, Angkor Wat is still towards the West making the sunrise here become an impressive destination. Arriving in Angkor Wat from dark and waiting for the sunrise, contemplating the sunlight flaring little by little behind the world-famous temple, listening to birds singing will be certainly unforgettable experiences for any tourists. Perhaps religious belief of everyone is different but the wonderful sunrise in Angkor Wat always persists over time.
Queuing to the 3rd floor of Angkor Wat
The temple has a unique design of stairs but they are quite steep (it might be designed like that to declare the difficulty of the human going to Gods). Because there used to be some small accidents, another stair system which has handrails was installed. Each tourist will be given a card before climbing.
Besides, any tourists who have the outfits not meeting standard quality will not be allowed to go inside. The staffs will remind immediately if the tourists don’t wear suitably. It is amazing to think about the human’s effort with simple tools to build this temple thousands years ago.
They used to take many big stone blocks (of which some blocks were nearly 1,5 tons weigh) that were about 30 kilometers far from the temple. Their attempts have expressed their strong religious belief.
#2 Bayon Temple
Bayon is a temple among three of the most beautiful temples in Angkor. The temple has 54 temple towers, each of which is sculptured the face of Lokesvara towards 4 directions. This symbolizes to the vision of Gods. The great beauty of Bayon will definitely make you feel get lost into the movie “Jungle”.
#3 Ta Prohm
The movie “Tomb Raider” was filmed in a part of this garden so Ta Prohm is quite world-well-known. The special of the temple is thousand-year-old branches covering all of the temple’s corners. Additionally, Ceiba Penrandra tree is very giant like “big arms” with many shapes hugging the temple.
#4 Ta Keo
In spite of not been finished yet, Ta Keo still impresses the eyes of tourists due to unique steep stairs. Not many visitors come here because Ta Keo is next to Bayon which is more famous. However, this temple is still worth visiting for those who love discovering the special structure of this temple.
#5 Banteay Srei
Banteay Srei means “ The temple of women”. Most of the temple’s delicate sculptures were done by Khmer women. With brown soil color, the temple highlights its unique features that will never be confused with others in Angkor. Banteay Srei’s location is quite far from main Angkor area so tuk tuk will require some small extra fees.
6. Various cuisine in Angkor Wat
There is a lot of eateries around large temples, especially Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom. Besides, you can also see many vendors dedicated to drinks, fruits, bread and grilled meat which are attractive and tasty.
You just need to spend 4-7 USD for a full meal at a restaurant. Though around the temples, there are a few stalls selling cheap food, you can still buy fresh fruits and juices for only over 1 USD.
If you intend to get out if the park and return to the city for lunch, you will waste pretty much time for moving. Your visiting ticket in Angkor Wat will be able to be checked by date so you can freely enter and exit without worrying.
For those who only take the Angkor Wat Sunrise tour and visit 4 temples, you might finish the tour at 12:00 PM and come back to city for lunch, here are some suggestion if you want to find some convenient restaurants in Siem Reap, also some must-try desserts in Siem Reap 2019:
7. Costume to wear when you visit Angkor Wat
Your clothes have to cover your shoulders and over your knees when you visit any temples at Angkor Archaeological Park. The guards always stand at each temple’s gate and will not allow you to enter if your clothes are not suitable.
8. Things you need to bring
- Water: you ought to bring your water bottles in case you are thirsty due to the hot weather and expensive prices at the temples
- Comfortable shoes or sandal: It is more convenient for your walking around temples if you choose suitable shoes by yourself
- Sunscreen to protect your skin: The strong sunlight here will damage your skin just within 1 day so remember to apply some sunscreen to prevent it from the impact of the sun.
9. Top tips when visiting Angkor Wat
- Ticket for visiting Angkor Wat is valid from the day you buy except for the case you buy it after 5:00 PM. At that case, your ticket is valid from next day
- It is possible for you to visit Angkor Archaeological Park any days of the week after 5:30 PM without any expenses and tickets
- It would be better to avoid visiting Angkor Wat on weekends because most tourists, as well as local people, come here, especially in the morning
- Your shoulders and knees have to be covered when being at any temples
- Keep your ticket at all times to be checked to enter any temples
- Bring your water bottle and some snacks before getting into Angkor because the food and drink inside Angkor are very expensive.
10. The ideal time to traveling in Angkor Wat
November to March is the time when the weather becomes cold and also the time when amounts of tourists increase quickly.
June to October: the weather is quite comfortable despite being hot and humid a bit. The warm morning is a great time to explore.
April is Khmer’s New Year so there will be many traditional activities. However, the temperature at this time will be much higher than in other months so you should consider carefully.
If you don’t have enough time in Siem Reap, why don’t you set eye on my 2 days in Siem Reap itinerary suggestion to enjoy Angkor Wat Sunrise 2019?
Hope this article will help you have a memorable journey with your family and friends!